Wednesday, March 4, 2015

From Football to Land Rights; Karamoja has me challenged

It seems every time I say I’m going to write more that fails completely, so I will stop writing that now. In my defence the last couple of days have been very difficult with the power situation, so any time I have had power on my laptop it has been used for work, and work I seem to have a lot of lately!

The beauty of the mountains in Karamoja 

It is really amazing to see the KDF office actually up and running, with four people sitting here busy writing away every day. I know there remains a lot to be set up when it comes to the ‘Pastoralist Information Centre’, which will really become the hub of this office, but I’m impressed with the progress so far, and I’m so happy I have been able to be here for the setting up office phase! I remember coming here in December being a bit confused as to what I was actually supposed to do, as there was no office, no structure really, just Simon and Teba taking me around to various sites and events and encouraging me to learn. My walk to Rupa to find the artisanal gold miners and the day of traditional ceremonies in Kautakou still remains my favourite ‘office days’ with KDF. Hopefully I still have a few more of those days ahead of me before I leave Moroto.

The last few days have been a mix of a lot of work and random fun activities. A few weeks ago I asked Simon to bring me a football from Kampala, after I had gone to watch some football with Teba and realized that almost everyone playing were guys, well I guess I should say everyone except for one girl who was off playing basketball next to the football pitch. As my work out routine has been very limited here I thought it would be a great idea if we could get a football and I could find some girls to play with. Again so much happened in the last few weeks I hadn’t actually had time to do anything about it until this Monday, but on Monday I did actually play football here for the first time. Unfortunately the ‘big boys’ took our ball to play with and Karo, Perie and I were left to play with the kids with their home made ball, but I think from seeing the amount of smiles and laughter we had a lot more fun playing. The kids were amazing, one little boy in particular, little Edwin, he can’t have been more than 5, but he kept running off with the ball and scoring these awesome goals. 

Unfortunately he wasn’t on my team, but I had Perie on my team who just wanted to score more than anything, although not sure if that actually happened or not, but we ran until we were exhausted and then some. So officially now my favourite after work activity, although hoping I can wear shoes soon as I was running around barefoot playing after I put shoes on not flip flops for the first time in like 2 months the other day and got blisters all over. So hopefully after work today I will be running around the pitch again, maybe we’ll be successful in recruiting some more girls, and also hoping the guys will be a bit nicer and let us play with the actual football today!

If only I could carry more than half a bottle of water on my head, not quite Karimojong yet.

The past weekend was also one of new adventures. Karo had a bonfire at her house and her and a friend held a bit of an impromptu concert for around 15 people. It was so nice to sit around a fire under the stars and listen to live music, not quite an experience I pictured myself having in Karamoja, especially with two ‘muzungus’ playing music, but it was amazing nonetheless. And the dance party that took over after the playing was equally as entertaining, with Egyptian dancing from Muhammed and Perie doing some dance moves I can’t even describe in words, it turned into a long night around the fire. Although my favourite part of the night was listening to the music and seeing everyone around the fire with the biggest smiles on their faces, making you realize that it’s the little things in life that can truly make you happy. So thank you to Karo for hosting a night I will remember long past my time in Karamoja.

A magical night of music and dancing

The beauty of fire 


As my time here is quickly running out work is becoming more hectic. Teba and I have a deadline of getting the land report, titled ‘Take Anything, Leave our Land’ out by this evening. The report is a result of field research that KDF members conducted in the areas of Kautakou and Namalu, two areas that have been the sites of ‘land grabs’. In Namalu the prison grounds have been expanded and this has caused over 300 families to be evicted from their land, families who are now living under inhumane conditions, where 50 people have lost their lives as a result of having to relocate and losing all of their food and assets in the process. In Kautakou (where I took part in the traditional ceremony) land has been sold by an individual for the creation of an industrial park without the consent of the community which is using the land.

Kautakou protests 'land grab'

Both cases are highlighting the difficulties the Karimojong are facing in the emerging scramble for land in the region. Land rights have never been an issue I have been especially involved in, but in Karamoja it is impossible to avoid. Land rights are extremely difficult here because of the nature of communities and especially in regards to pastoralism. It is not as straight forward as it is back home in that one person owns a piece of land and if you want to buy or sell that will be the person whom you must deal with, here communities live and use the land together, and in many cases more than one community is involved. So how do you protect the rights of these people? The laws of Uganda do make an attempt at this, but I think the idea of communal land rights is a lot more difficult in practice than the government acknowledges.

I can’t say I have any magical answer to the issue of land rights in Karamoja, as I said I am still learning, but the process of writing the land report with KDF has really opened my eyes to how important this issue is. This is not just about pieces of land and assets, it is about people, their livelihoods and the future of Karamoja. So as the report will hopefully be out tonight, if not then at least in the next couple of days, I urge you all to read it and help give a voice to the people who risk losing everything in the struggle for land in Karamoja. They shouldn't be fighting this battle alone. If you are interested in the report leave a comment or send me an email and I will make sure you receive a copy.





1 comment: